Calgary B&B, Bed and Breakfast
click on images to enlarge.

The History of Hughes' House Bed & Breakfast

Why is it called "Hughes House"? It is named for Dr. Ralph Raymond Hughes who moved to Calgary in 1912 with his young family; the house was built in 1914 and was their home until about 1940. Dr. Hughes was a prominent early Calgarian serving as chairman of the General Hospital and as deacon and board member of his church for over forty years. He and his family are interred in Union Cemetery in Calgary.

During World War II, the house became a rooming house; and from then until 1984 a variety of tenants and owners called it home. When the current owner, Kelly Smith, took possession in 1984 it had been vacant for over a year and was in almost derelict condition. The original 'five year plan' of renovation and restoration has continued for almost three decades. The exterior retains the original siding and trim wood, while the interior has been updated to modern standards retaining the original woodwork including plate rails, built-in apothecary, china and linen cabinets.

After almost a century, Hughes House is still a family home but is now also a Bed and Breakfast in Calgary, Alberta.

The 1876 Rosewood Grand Piano presides over one end of the living room opposite the fireplace surrounded by comfortable couches and chairs at the other end.

Dr Ralph Hughes
Dr. Ralph Hughes


Hughes' House Bed and Breakfast
315 – 11th Avenue NE, Calgary, AB, T2E 0Z2
Website Designed & Maintained by